Spelling Power 5th Edition (Adams-Gordon's)
Homeschool teachers will go to great lengths to help their students overcome difficulties. Take Beverly Adams-Gordon, for example. An engineer and Montessori teacher, she left her teaching job to homeschool in an effort to solve her youngest daughter's severe spelling problems. Finding no suitable material, she thoroughly researched the subject and developed her own spelling curriculum.
So what is different?
- It's all in one book. One purchase for all years for all kids.
- A chapter on research details the most effective methods of spelling instruction.
- Complete instructions for introducing, implementing and evaluating the program. Directions are given for adapting to different learning styles and ages.
- The program takes only 15 minutes/day.
- Extensive Word Lists are based on research done after 1979 of most frequently used and misspelled words. Word lists used in most other programs are based on lists created in 1915 or 1947. Two lists are provided, with 5,000 and 12,000 words, respectively.
- General and specific placement tests start each student right where he needs to be.
- Program is based on phonics and spelling rules, not phonics alone.
- Review is built into the program which uses a "spiral" approach (repeated and spaced review) similar to the approach Saxon takes in its problem sets.
- Directions for over 100 games and activities are included which concentrate on specific skills and make spelling more interesting. Most are individual or partner games, but some can be played by up to 6 players.
Now available in the 5th edition, Spelling Power retains all of its award-winning effective procedures, but it is more user-friendly with larger type and more graphics. Easier to read and less intimidating, there is also improved organization of resources. The 5th edition Spelling Power package includes access to the Teacher's Online Resources on the publisher's website and an updated Quick Start video seminar. The online video provides a personal step-by-step introduction to using the Spelling Power program featuring author Beverly Adams-Gordon who explains each step as "real" homeschool moms and students demonstrate. The Teacher's Online Resources includes printable forms, searchable word lists, charts, printable Activity Task Cards, bonus activities, and the Digital Spelling Tutor which allows you to create spelling lists for multiple children, offers learning, drill and testing activities, tracks several children's progress, allows you to create and print progress reports, and can be used with any spelling word list.
Spelling Power provides the most thorough coverage of spelling that we have seen. This one is a "classic."
Finding a homeschool spelling curriculum that works for your family can be a gargantuan task. Many of the spelling programs available are time-consuming, ineffective, expensive, or all three. These are the problems Beverly Adams-Gordon faced when she was searching for a spelling program for her daughter, who was having great difficulty in the subject. Finding nothing appropriate, she set out to create the best spelling program for struggling spellers that she possibly could.
For Spelling Teachers
Unlike many other homeschool spelling programs, Adams-Gordon provides all of the material that parents or teachers need to fully understand how the program works, all in one book. Teachers do not need to purchase a new book every year; the program can be used for children from age 8 until high school. The program includes several additional resources for teachers. The book itself has information on the most effective ways to teach spelling and extensive instructions for how to begin the program, as well as modifying it to support each student's learning style and abilities. Access to an online "Quick Start" video is also included for teachers who want to plunge right into the lessons. In addition, purchasing the program provides you with additional online resources, access to the Spelling Power website for extra support, and a subscription to the Spelling Power newsletter.
For Students Learning to Spell
One of the most attractive components of this program is its implementation in short daily increments. Adams-Gordon designed the lessons to last just 15 minutes per day. Each lesson begins with a quick five-minute test to check retention of previous lessons and introduce new words. The next five minutes are spent going over words the student misspelled, and the final five minutes focus on learning the new words. The lessons are rooted in phonics but also rely on spelling rules, making the program extremely effective.
Features of Spelling Power
- Lessons are only 15 minutes a day
- All-inclusive program covers age 8 through high school
- Includes online access to Quick Start video and additional online resources
- 330 pages
- 5th edition
Spelling Power seeks to teach students of any learning style and ability how to spell the 5,000 most frequently used words. This comprehensive book contains everything you need to implement this spelling program, from teacher instruction to fun activities to boost mastery.
over 2 years ago
over 3 years ago
over 3 years ago
over 6 years ago
over 6 years ago