Jensen's Punctuation (combined volume)
This volume combines both former books Major Punctuation and General Punctuation. It is "the complete guide to all your punctuation needs." The first part covers rules for the five basic errors that account for 75-90% of punctuation errors in student writing. The second section deals with all punctuation from the comma to the parenthesis. Both reference manual and practice book, it contains complete explanation of rules along with plenty of practice. We have used these with great success and all four older daughters credited this systematic program with increasing their score on the English portion of the ACT. All exercises are taken from classical or historical texts, adding to the educational value. Instructions and answer key included.
"The lessons are quick and painless, about 5-10 minutes each, and you will find these exercises more interesting than what's usually found in grammar texts since they are examples from real books." Teresa Schultz-Jones, national reviewer
Jensen's Punctuation is a punctuation rule book with page after page of examples for students to work through. It has been developed with constant repetition for long-term retention and includes exercises taken from classical literature. All of the answer keys for exercises and tests are included with this one volume.
Students completing this course will learn valuable skills.
- The five basic rules for compound sentences that solve 75-90% of your punctuation problems.
- How to use the punctuation index to help you master all the punctuation rules worth knowing.
- The three types of key words and how they signal what type of punctuation is needed, if any.
- What kinds of words in what kinds of situations need capitals and how to identify them in sentences.
- When and when not to use a comma with modifiers occurring in various positions in a sentence.
- How to correctly use the semicolon in the most common situation in which it occurs.
Daily Lesson plan included.