Junior Learning Literacy
Junior Learning Literacy provides a systematic pattern of phonics/reading instruction. Rainbow Phonics, Beanstalk Decodable Readers, and various workbooks and games support the following phases of literacy instruction.
- Phase 1 - Phonemic Awareness (ages 3+) covers sound talk, voice sound, and rhyming.
- Phase 2 - Letter Sounds (ages 4+) practices initial sounds, real and non-word word building, sound matching, and final sounds.
- Phase 3 – Phonics (ages 5+) covers long vowels, real & non-word matching, consonant digraphs word building, and r-controlled vowels.
- Phase 4 – Blends (ages 5+) covers sentence matching, reading for meaning, blends, and word building.
- Phase 5 - Vowel Sounds (ages 5+) practices r-controlled sounds, split digraphs, yes/no questions and long vowel sounds.
- Phase 6 – Spelling (ages 6+) – introduces tenses, plurals, prefixes/suffixes, and multi-syllables.
The Letter and Sounds Teaching Kit will get you started. Packed with activity cards and workbooks it’s ready to be used with the Rainbow Phonics Magnetic Letters. The Downloadable Teacher Manual (use QR code) can either be used with the Teaching Kit/Letters and or with only the Letters for a comprehensive approach in teaching phonics/reading. The manual, which roughly covers skills typically taught in PK through 2nd grade, is well-organized and easy to follow although it is oriented toward a classroom situation.