50 Magnetic Letters Activity Cards
Do you need a few ideas for using those handy magnetic letters that have a habit of lodging under the fridge? Here are more than a few. Each of the 50 cards focuses on a phoneme and gives step-by-step ideas for instruction and reinforcement. Cards have these instructions on one side and two types of activities on the reverse side. Most have a word-building grid that allows the student to place the letters on the (non-magnetic) grid and make a word. Then remove the beginning or ending sound and make other words. Other cards show a circular letter/word progression so the student can move from cat to can to cap, etc. A handy checklist helps you keep records of phonemes presented. These cards work well with Rainbow Phonics Magnetic Letters (#040674) from the same supplier but can be used with other sets as well. Cards are 7 1/8"x 4 1/2" with rounded edges. ~ Janice
50 Magnetic Letter Activities is a set of 50 double-sided activity cards for teaching word building with magnetic letters. Follows a synthetic phonics progression introducing a new letter card by card. Full circle activities are also included to consolidate learning of letter sounds to date. The front side provides the letter to be introduced, letters used for word building and word examples. The other side provides a phoneme frame and visual images of example words presented with clear photography. Contains 50 double-sided activity cards and a contents card that can act as a check off list.
Junior Learning Literacy provides a systematic pattern of phonics/reading instruction. Rainbow Phonics, Beanstalk Decodable Readers, and various workbooks and games support the following phases of literacy instruction.
- Phase 1 - Phonemic Awareness (ages 3+) covers sound talk, voice sound, and rhyming.
- Phase 2 - Letter Sounds (ages 4+) practices initial sounds, real and non-word word building, sound matching, and final sounds.
- Phase 3 – Phonics (ages 5+) covers long vowels, real & non-word matching, consonant digraphs word building, and r-controlled vowels.
- Phase 4 – Blends (ages 5+) covers sentence matching, reading for meaning, blends, and word building.
- Phase 5 - Vowel Sounds (ages 5+) practices r-controlled sounds, split digraphs, yes/no questions and long vowel sounds.
- Phase 6 – Spelling (ages 6+) – introduces tenses, plurals, prefixes/suffixes, and multi-syllables.
The Letter and Sounds Teaching Kit will get you started. Packed with activity cards and workbooks it’s ready to be used with the Rainbow Phonics Magnetic Letters. The Downloadable Teacher Manual (use QR code) can either be used with the Teaching Kit/Letters and or with only the Letters for a comprehensive approach in teaching phonics/reading. The manual, which roughly covers skills typically taught in PK through 2nd grade, is well-organized and easy to follow although it is oriented toward a classroom situation.
Programs in this section focus primarily on teaching children to read, and may not provide comprehensive instruction in reading comprehension, spelling, writing, or other language skills. Arranged roughly by grade.