Daily Language Review Grade 7 (Common Core Edition)
This Grade 7 Teacher Book provides daily review and practice along with some teaching notes and a skills scope and sequence. The student pages are reproducible for homes and classrooms and there is an answer key included.
Seventh grade students practice language skills covering punctuation, verb tense, conjunctions, word meaning, and more in ten to fifteen-minute daily lessons. This new edition has been completely updated to support Common Core methodology and skill practice, and includes:
- Practice of the Conventions of Standard English and Vocabulary Acquisition and Use for grade 7
- Using language in the context of writing and reading
- Increased practice of academic and idiomatic vocabulary
- Exposure to sentences from all Common Core writing types (informational, narrative, and opinion/argument)
How it works:
Daily Language Review follows the research-based model of frequent, focused practice to help students learn and retain skills.
On days 1 through 4, half-page activities provide four language exercises:
- two sentence-editing exercises
- two items that practice a variety of language and vocabulary skills
On day 5, a full-page activity provides more extensive practice of a vocabulary strategy or skill, and gives students the opportunity to practice using the words in their own sentences.
36 weeks of daily practice activities cover:
- Grammar and usage
- Capitalization, punctuation, and spelling
- Vocabulary word meaning and relationships
- Acquired vocabulary (e.g., using conjunctions to show relationships)
Features and benefits:
- Concise daily lessons are easy to scaffold and ideal for daily warm-up, quick informal assessments, and test prep
- The skills scope and sequence details the skills practiced each week
- A downloadable skill list and answer key provides an item-by-item list of the skills practiced each day to help teachers identify student competencies
- Each title includes downloadable homeschool connection activities to encourage parent involvement
- A progress chart and vocabulary log help students monitor their daily scores and keep track of new vocabulary
With a scope and sequence chart that shows alignment to current state and national standards, there are four half-page general language review segments plus a one-page segment on vocabulary for each week. The daily segments provide two sentences to edit for spelling, punctuation, grammar, or word choice errors plus two more sentences that practice a variety of language skills (i.e. homonyms, word usage, parts of speech, or opposites, to name a few). The weekly vocab segments provide practice in strategies and in defining and using words. A grade-appropriate writing activity is part of these segments (i.e. sentences in lower grades; paragraphs in upper). Each grade level book was designed for teachers and has reproducible student sheets and an answer key located in the back. 136 pgs, pb. The Student Practice Books have non-reproducible student pages and no answer key. Please note that they are available for this edition, but not the previously published edition: #6985, #6983, #6993, etc. ~ Janice
These materials are also comprehensive in scope but are supplemental as opposed to more complete programs.