Complete Guide to College Application Essays
New in 2020, this guide from the Princeton Review is one of those books where you will get out of it what you put in. If you just read it and take it in, you will get some good tips to apply to your writing. However, if you actually do the exercises and interact with the practical strategies, you are certain to make your writing more outstanding. ~Sara
As confirmed by college admissions officers in articles in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and other major news sites, now that the SAT/ACT are often optional, many grades are pass/fail, and the opportunities for extracurriculars have vanished, you NEED to ace your essay in order to stand out as an applicant.
This book takes you from blank page to submitted application with step-by-step guidance on the most effective ways to complete this daunting process! We’ve packed these pages with practical exercises and annotated samples that model good and bad techniques, and included tips from real admissions officers.
This complete guide provides:
- A firsthand look into different review processes, plus editing guidelines to help you think like an essay reader
- Step-by-step methods for breaking down a prompt
- Brainstorming techniques to help you find the right story to share
- Tried-and-true advice to get you outlining and drafting your essay with confidence
- Annotated essays to demonstrate writing dos and don’ts
- Guidance on additional written content (like short answer questions and resumes) for a completely polished application