Illuminated Letters Drawing Book
Whether you're a hobbyist in fine lettering, wanting to learn more about the medieval art form of illuminating letters, or hoping to de-stress from the hustle of modern day in ancient creativity, this beautiful little workbook is the key. Each page consists of faint, soft blue graph paper to help you practice and learn illumination with little step-by-step drawing tutorials and illuminating techniques along the way. There are also blank letterforms to get you started from "A" to "Z" as you progress through the pages, just add a mystical creature here, some swirling vine and arabesque motifs there, fill-in the letter with a beautiful base color, then add some detailed accents with a white gel pen, and voil, you're an illuminator! You'll find full-color samples of illuminated letters sprinkled amongst the pages of the practice book to give ideas and inspiration. 160 pgs, 6.25" x 8.25" hc. ~ Emily
Learn how to illuminate your writing like the scribes of the past!
- Bring letters to life with plant and animal motifs, swirling vines and leaves, graceful arabesques and flourishes, fantastical imagery, and more.
- Draw creatures cavorting across the page as Gothic illuminators did, or create the knotwork seen in famous Celtic manuscripts.
- Step-by-step tutorials, tips for creating striking effects, and blank letterforms you can illuminate yourself make this the perfect modern-day guide to the medieval art of beautiful writing.
- Includes an elegant spring-green ribbon bookmark with which to keep your place.
- 160 pages.
- 6-1/4 inches wide by 8-1/4 inches high.
Jane Sullivan is a Medieval-style illuminator and fantasy artist. Her other works include guides to illuminated lettering, calligraphy, and drawing fairies and other fantastical beings.
Sophisticated but user-friendly designs are the hallmark of a Peter Pauper Press coloring book! Each book has 31 (one-sided) designs on square pages with a mix of bold and fine black outlines. Whether a fan of pencils or markers, you will love the look of these books. They almost look like beautiful fabrics! 9x9".