Learning to Spell Through Copywork
Learning to Spell Through Copywork is one of the homeschool resources available for students who are having difficulty with spelling. There are four books in the series, each providing 30 lessons that focus on specific patterns and rules. Each lesson is designed to be completed within one five-day week.
A weeks lesson involves mastering the material on one page. The spelling rule is introduced on the first day, followed by vocabulary words that emphasize the pattern. There are five sentences to complete during the week, one each day, with special care given to accuracy. The series incorporates audio and visual aspects of learning in addition to copywork. It is recommended that the weeks instruction be repeated if the child is still struggling or a word is misspelled.
Each book's key features include the following:
- Book A
- Provides a review of basic phonics rules before each lesson
- Begins with short vowel sounds
- Proceeds through to more difficult words, such as "neighbor"
- Book B
- Continues to review basic phonics rules
- Introduces more difficult rules as well as exceptions
- Addresses consonant digraphs, such as "qu"
- Book C
- Moves beyond the strictly phonics-related words and their rules
- Begins introducing more advanced patterns and exceptions
- May be used for younger or older students depending on their skill level
- Encompasses in one weeks study words such as "kangaroo," "rescue," and "nephew"
- Book D
- Features lessons for advanced students
- Introduces and gives practice exercises for words that are frequently misspelled
- Covers word comparisons such as "compliment" and "complement" or "there," "their," and "theyre"
The books lessons are focused on specific spelling structures and are designed to eliminate the supplementary exercises that often accompany spelling class. The books are consumable, so one book per student is required.
My family was tremendously blessed through the gentle methods of Charlotte Mason, especially in the area of language arts. But what happens if you have a child who struggles with spelling and just doesnt seem to grasp the application of spelling through copywork? Finding a spelling program that is not "twaddle free" is no easy task! Thankfully, Queen Homeschool brings to us a way to reinforce phonics rules and spelling drills without all the busywork commonly found in todays educational materials. Designed to be used orally as well as with narration and copywork, each week your child is given a new spelling rule. Each spelling rule page has a place to copy the words that follow the rule and five sentences (one per day) for copywork or narration. Strict attention to the spelling of the words is encouraged; it is suggested that a student repeat the lesson if they misspell a word. These books are not graded but are for use whenever your child has mastered basic reading and is ready to move on from phonics. They can also be used for older students who are struggling with spelling, as they review all of the phonics rules. Each book is consumable, so youll want one for each child. Each book contains 30 lessons. Sc, 33 pgs. ~ Deanne