Introductory Logic: The Fundamentals of Thinking Well Homeschool Package (with DVD Set)
This package includes the following items:
Studying formal logic can be intimidating without the right help, but knowing how to think logically isn't just for "experts."
Our easy-to-read layout comes with summaries, key points, definitions, and cautions so you learn and keep an understanding of logic.
It's the tool for learning how to use other tools.
I t's the bones that give a clenched fist its structure (and knuckles).
Introductory Logic is perfect for Grade 7+ students, teachers, and parents who've never tackled syllogisms or fallacies before. It provides a semester or year's worth of logic to help you detect and deflect flawed or deceitful arguments and to think, debate, and argue well.
- Student Edition
- 40 lessons covering formal and informal logic
- sidebars with definitions, key points, cautions, further study, activities for thinking deeper, and historical information
- perforated pages with practice exercises
- Teacher's Edition
- a daily lesson schedule for completing Introductory Logic in a semester or a year-long course.
- answers to all exercises, review questions, review exercises, quizzes, and tests in the order they are taught.
- contains the entire Student Edition text—with the same page numbers as the Student Edition! No more flipping back and forth between answer keys and textbook.
- daily lesson plans with step-by-step teaching advice, objectives, and assignments
- Video Courses
- expanded lessons and examples for independent students or a teacher's prep
- animations and visual cues
- veteran teacher Brian Kohl teaches through every lesson and practice test to help independent students or teachers who need to prepare
- Tests & Quizzes
- quizzes every two or three lessons (not just tests)
- two versions of each test for extra practice
- answers in 5th Ed. Intro Teacher
- looseleaf, hole-punched, resealable packets to prevent copying
Every person should have a course in logic at some point. It is important for children to be prepared to argue logically, defend their positions, and spot fallacies. The only thing more frustrating than knowing your opponent is wrong is to have to combat a well-constructed, logical argument when you are unable. There is no real defense against sound logic and thinking. Many logic books are written at too high a level for younger students to comprehend. Canon Press says this course is written for primary and secondary students. Cathy Duffy, however, says the content is beyond typical high-school-level material. I have looked through this book and found it simpler to use and understand than the course I had in high school. I would hope that my 12 year olds could handle it without much difficulty. It is a complete and fairly rigorous course, and is from a Christian perspective. The course builds from basic to more complex, giving students the tools they need, with good examples along the way. Exercises teach logical statements, truth and validity, universals and particulars, categorized relationships, syllogism, logical fallacy, symbolic logic, and much more. The newest version of the course includes 36 lessons (with 39 consumable exercises). Definitions of important terms, key points, and caution signs regarding common errors are set apart in the margins of the text. The Student Text begins with a section on defining terms, which lays the foundation for the lessons that follow. The book has a new cover, perfect binding, and has perforated exercise pages for easy removal. The Teacher Edition includes both full-year and semester lesson schedules; answers to all exercises, review exercises, quizzes and tests; the entire content of the Student Text; and detailed daily lesson plans with teacher's notes. The DVD Set includes lessons from Brian Kohl who has taught at the high school and college levels. The Homeschool Package contains the Student Text, Teacher Edition, Test & Quiz Packet, and DVD Set. Make Introductory Logic one of their required courses and arm them for battle!
1 year ago
over 3 years ago
over 4 years ago
over 5 years ago
over 6 years ago