Horizons Grade K Manipulative Kit
This package includes the following items:
- Geometric Shapes (Plastic 3D based on 1" size) - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Dominoes Double-Nine Wooden - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Addition Flash Cards 0-12
- Subtraction Flash Cards 0-12
- Colors & Shapes Pocket Flash Cards
- Advanced Place Value Dry Erase Board 9" x 12"
- Base Ten Unit Cubes Set of 100
- Plastic Coins - Bag of 98
- Play Money - 100 Mixed Bills
- Ruler, 12" View-Thru Basic - Temporarily Out of Stock
- 2-Colored Plastic Counters - SET OF 100 - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Hundred Number Chart - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Student Number Lines with Wipe-Off Crayon or Marker - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Write On/Wipe Off Student Clock x 2 - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Crayola Crayons 16 Count Box
- Magnetic Dry Erase Board 9" x 12" 2-sided plain - Temporarily Out of Stock
- Index Cards 3 x 5 - Blank White Set of 100 x 3
- Numbers 0-100 Flash Cards
Covers recognition and printing of numbers 0-100, simple addition and subtraction, skip-counting (by 10's, 5's, 2's, 3's, and 4's), place value, measuring, calendars, time and money.
Admittedly, no math program will work for everyone - but I find few flaws in this motivating and well-laid out program. Although it may be more advanced for grade level than the "average" program, I don't consider that a negative. Because of the developmental approach to learning in this program, even a non-math type can easily succeed, while the "math whiz" will be challenged by the advanced topics introduced early. Concepts are introduced incrementally, then practiced, developed, and continually reviewed as other concepts are introduced. Horizons lays a solid foundation for numerical literacy with an early emphasis on hands-on, concept learning via manipulatives and one-on-one lessons. The program relies on few separately purchased manipulatives by utilizing common household items and including charts and number lines found in the teacher's handbooks. A useful table in the handbook shows the integration of manipulatives in lessons so you can tell at a glance just what you'll need. Analytical reasoning and mental acumen are stressed throughout the series, and memorization and drill are not neglected. The teacher handbook is the heart of the program, containing daily lesson plans that are easy to implement. Reduced student pages are a tremendous aid in planning and supply answers to the worktext exercises. Besides plans, the handbook contains an overview, materials list, activities, and supplemental worksheets (approx. one for each 4 lessons). Designed for homeschoolers, the activities, language, and lessons require no alteration. There are 160 lessons per level, each requiring approximately 20-30 minutes per day. Tests are given after every 10 lessons to assess retention of cumulative skills. While a good part of each lesson is oral (especially at the K level), the enticing, colorful student worksheets lay foundations for lessons and review concepts previously taught. There are two workbooks per grade level. Please note that the actual lesson is to be taught by you - there are only brief instructions on each page of the workbooks, which are not intended to be self- instructional. Boxed set contains the teacher book and 2 student workbooks. Additional Student Worksheet Packets contain one photocopy of each reproducible master in the teacher book.
Homeschoolers appreciate the Alpha Omega curricula for their ease of use and quality instruction. There are 4 different teaching options available to help you meet your math education needs: Lifepacs, Horizons, Switched on Schoolhouse (flash drive for Windows only) and Monarch (online). Please see each option for the full course description. Christian content is included in the Lifepac, Switched on Schoolhouse and Monarch curricula.
over 4 years ago