Latin for Children Primer B Mastery Bundle
This package includes the following items:
Full program includes:
- Latin for Children Primer B (consumable student edition and workbook) Students will learn new grammar concepts, Latin numbers, and much new vocabulary. Exercises, quizzes, a thrilling adventure story, and a useful reference section are also included. Lessons include a plethora of mnemonic aids (songs, chants) that enable students to learn vocabulary and grammar with ease and delight.
- Latin for Children Primer B Answer Key This teacher’s tool features actual, full-size pages from the primer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. This key corresponds with the newly revised edition of the primer and also includes a suggested weekly schedule.
- Latin for Children Primer B Streaming Video & Audio (or 6-DVD & 2-CD Set) The Primer B Video, now in high-definition, offers valuable teaching and guidance by author Dr. Christopher Perrin. Each lesson (approximately 20–25 minutes) corresponds to the weekly chapter in Latin for Children Primer B and features the chanting and singing of vocabulary (in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations), including noun declensions and verb conjugations, and clear grammatical explanations. The video can be used to prep the teacher for the lesson, to help a student catch up on a missed lesson, to help a student maintain or catch up over the summer, or as a substitute when the teacher is absent. The audio files feature Latin students pronouncing and rhythmically repeating each vocabulary word and grammar chart in the primer—first the Latin, then the English equivalent. These chants are an incredible tool to use for fun memorization and contain all 240 vocabulary words in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations. Take them wherever you go! The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
- Flash Dash (Game): This fast-paced game will challenge students’ knowledge of vocabulary as they progress through the book, unit by unit.
- Coram Coins (Game): C?ram Coins is another fun way to practice the Latin for Children Primer B vocabulary. Fire a slingshot to break open the vase containing the correct Latin translation, but watch out for the scorpions that give chase!
- The Tale of Two Princesses, Volume 2 (Videos): This exciting adventure narrative features Latin words and phrases in the context of an entertaining story.
- Lapbooks: Students can assemble their own lapbooks with coloring pages, cutouts, puzzles, and other hands-on activities to help them practice all that they’ve learned.
- More Videos: Additional animated stories featuring Latin include the classic tale “The Fox and the Grapes” and a creative take on the Amo, Amas, Amat Latin chant.
- Latin for Children Primer B Activity Book! (consumable) Following Primer B chapter by chapter, students explore a mad scientist’s lab, help little Billy find his way home, drill for oil, solve puzzles, aid the Three Musketeers, go pearl diving, fish for stars, hunt for submarine wolf packs, work on the chain gang, search for pirate treasure, and more—all while learning Latin! Includes the reproducible group and solitaire game RetroSpecto™ and a Whopper Crossword Poster.
- Latin for Children Primer B History Reader (consumable) Young Latin students can begin to translate and read a selection of simple Latin stories at their own level. The stories are integrated with the grammar and vocabulary of Latin for Children Primer B, correspond with the Veritas Press History Card series, and feature stories of the Middle Ages.
Streaming video purchase includes games, videos, and other activities that will keep students engaged and will help further reinforce their new Latin skills. Streaming supplemental content includes:
Note: The old editions of the primer and answer key are not compatible with this newly revised edition (though the grammar is taught in the same sequence). The DVD or streaming video, however, will still work with previous editions of the text. The Activity Book and History Reader are also still compatible with either version.
As the books state, "Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware - this series has made Latin the favorite subject of many homeschoolers...." Hard to believe? This thorough program can help you teach your children Latin effectively, even if you have no background in or experience with Latin.
Primers (texts) are divided into a handful of different units, with a total of 32 lessons per book. Primer A starts right at the beginning. Each lesson introduces new vocabulary words alongside a Latin concept, starting with verbs and nouns in the first unit and moving on to linking verbs, adjectives, more verb forms, predicates and nominatives, and a bunch of other concepts. The lessons are short at four pages each, except for the periodic reviews which generally have a couple more pages. The lessons begin with a vocabulary list, a chant, and then a discussion/explanation of the target concept. The last two pages hold a variety of short exercises practicing the grammar concept using the vocabulary words. Primers B and C build on the skills learned in Primer A, progressing through more vocabulary words and more advanced grammatical concepts. All levels are integrated with Shurley English as well, so it correlates nicely if you are using that program.
The lessons become longer in the later levels, but they follow the same straight-forward format. Each level introduces students to 240 of the most frequently occurring words in an engaging, easy manner with plenty of practice to help them retain what they've learned. Helpful glossaries are included in the back of each primer.
Paperback answer keys contain copies of the student exercises from the Primers, but with answers provided in bold font (includes only the pages with answers). A suggested weekly teaching schedule is also included at the beginning.
To further enhance the program, there are DVD/CD sets for each level, which show the author teaching the lessons to young students, explaining the grammatical concepts in a clear, easy to understand manner. Boys and girls in the elementary and middle grades perform the chants, while the text from the book is displayed on the screen. This helps your child learn them as well as the correct pronunciation. Each DVD set holds five or more hours of instruction, on 2-3 DVDs. We've heard a lot of positive feedback on the DVDs, which kids find entertaining as well as educational.
Audio CDs are included in the DVD/CD sets and are also available separately. The audio CDs feature Dr. Perrin and students pronouncing and repeating each grammar chant and vocabulary words, in both Latin and English. All 240 vocabulary words at each level are chanted and sung. Both the classical and ecclesiastical are included in the DVD/CD set, but you can now buy just the classical or ecclesiastical pronunciations separately.
NEW FOR 2023: Chants are available in mp3 files. You will receive an email with access code and instructions to redeem these files on the Classical Academic Press website.
These audio files capture the teacher and students pronouncing and rhythmically repeating each grammar chant and vocabulary word from Latin for Children Primer A—first the Latin, then the English equivalent. These chants are an incredible tool to use for fun memorization and contain all 240 vocabulary words chanted and sung in the ecclesiastical pronunciation. Listen wherever you go! You choose the Classical or Ecclesiastical pronunciation you prefer.
Activity Books and History Readers are also available for each level. The Activity Books provide additional practice for each chapter through fun activities like crosswords, puzzles, word searches, codes, mazes and other fun puzzles. These will supplement and enhance Latin practice while adding a dash of fun for students. The History Readers each offer a selection of stories about history, which are keyed to the vocabulary and grammar learned at each level. The stories are written in Latin, and each story includes a glossary, notes, and follow-up questions (in Latin). Reader A shares stories from Greek and Roman history, while Reader B covers Medieval history and Reader C covers the Age of Exploration through 1815. If you are using Veritas History, you will be pleased to know that the content in the readers parallels that from Veritas History for each period covered, and that the readers share history in a Protestant-friendly way.
Test Packets are available as a PDF download. The complete answer keys for the tests are also included. This includes weekly chapter tests, unit tests, and even unit study guides. This license is for 1-3 students and is valid for 1 year.
While this program is certainly flexible, it was designed so that each level can be completed in one year at the rate of one lesson a week, split up into at least two days of assignments. While the program is suggested for use with grades 3-5, with Primer A being taught in 3rd grade, it can also be used with older children. If you want to start in 5th grade, you should still begin with Primer A before moving on to Levels B and C.
We offer the materials separately, in Packs, or in Mastery Bundles. Packs include the student text, answer key, and DVD/CD set at that level, while Mastery Bundles include a Pack (student text, answer key, and DVD/CD set) as well as the Activity Book and History Reader.
Also available for Levels A and B are the Clash Cards: Latin, Level 1 and Level 2 Flash Cards. Each card contains two vocabulary words on each side of the card (divided into "day" and "night" words), with Latin on one side and the English translation on the other. The Latin side of the card contains the main word in Latin, with additional declensions, conjugations, or definitions listed below. The English side of the card contains the main word in English, with common derivatives listed below. Also listed on the English side is the word's classification (i.e. noun, verb), as well as the word's book and chapter references to match with the Classical Academic Press textbooks. This set contains 240 vocabulary words that students can use to quiz themselves, or they can practice their vocabulary skills with other students by playing different variations of the Clash Game (instructions for three levels of play are included). ~Melissa
- Lindsey E on May 26, 2017
- Purchased on Jun 27, 2016