Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Purple Workbook
Consumable Student Workbook interacts with the Core Instructor Text. The Student Workbook also provides all the exercises that the student is expected to complete. There is variety in these exercises some are underlining and labeling, some are diagramming, some require the student to construct his own new sentences. Answers to these exercises are provided in the Student Workbook Answer Key (#078066)
Student Workbook 1, along with the accompanying Key and the Core Instructor Text, make up Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: a complete course that takes students from basic definitions ("A noun is the name of a person, place, thing, or idea") through advanced sentence structure and analysisall the grammar skills needed to write and speak with eloquence and confidence.
This innovative program combines the three essential elements of language learning:understanding and memorizing rules(prescriptive teaching),repeated exposure to examples of how those rules are used(descriptive instruction),and practice using those rules in exercises and in writing(practical experience).
Each year, parents and teachers go through the dialogue, rules, and examples in theCore Instructor Text; students follow along in theStudent Workbook. This repetition solidifies the concepts, definitions, and examples in the student's mind.
There arefourStudent Workbooks, one for each year. EachStudent Workbookcontainsthe same rules and examplesbut four completely different sets of exercises and assignments, allowing students to develop a wide-ranging knowledge of how the rules and examples are put to use in writing.
The Student Workbook comes with its ownKey, providing not only answers, but also explanations for the parent/instructor, and guidance as to when the answers might be ambiguous (as, in English, they often are).
All of the rules covered, along with the repeated examples for each, are assembled for ongoing reference in theComprehensive Handbook of Rules. This will become the student's indispensable guide to writing through high school, into college and beyond.
- Step-by-step instruction takes students from the most basic concepts through advanced grammatical concepts such as modal and hortative verbs and multiple functions of noun clauses.
- Extensive diagramming exercises reinforce the rules and help technical and visual learners to understand and use the English language effectively. Each step of the diagramming process is illustrated and thoroughly explained to the student.
- Text for examples and exercises are drawn from great works of literature, as well as from well-written nonfiction texts in science, mathematics, and the social sciences.
- Regular review is built into each year of work.
- The first of four sequential workbooks, each containing new exercises that allow students to practice and apply the grammar principles under study.