6 Reading Games
Covers sight words, tricky words, compound words, reading for meaning, sentence matching and sentence substitution (high frequency words, sentence substitution, sentence matching, compound word puzzles, and tricky words game).
Children will love reading words and completing each activity to win the game with this 6 reading games box set. This value pack of games contains 2 board games, 2 matching games, 10 word puzzles, 8 sentence puzzles, die and counters. Teaching topics include early reading at the word, caption and sentence level. Each game has self-correcting elements and the set includes a game guide with instructions. Encourages children to work together to develop their key reading skills. Ages 5+. WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD SMALL PARTS. Not suitable for children under 3 yrs.
Learning through game play is the goal here! Play pieces/boards for all six games included in each set are colorful, high-quality cardstock; activities are varied. The Reading game has an overall perspective and practices sight words, tricky words, compound words, reading for meaning, sentence matching and sentence substitution. The other games follow the general Junior Learning literacy phases.
Programs in this section focus primarily on teaching children to read, and may not provide comprehensive instruction in reading comprehension, spelling, writing, or other language skills. Arranged roughly by grade.
Junior Learning Literacy provides a systematic pattern of phonics/reading instruction. Rainbow Phonics, Beanstalk Decodable Readers, and various workbooks and games support the following phases of literacy instruction.
- Phase 1 - Phonemic Awareness (ages 3+) covers sound talk, voice sound, and rhyming.
- Phase 2 - Letter Sounds (ages 4+) practices initial sounds, real and non-word word building, sound matching, and final sounds.
- Phase 3 – Phonics (ages 5+) covers long vowels, real & non-word matching, consonant digraphs word building, and r-controlled vowels.
- Phase 4 – Blends (ages 5+) covers sentence matching, reading for meaning, blends, and word building.
- Phase 5 - Vowel Sounds (ages 5+) practices r-controlled sounds, split digraphs, yes/no questions and long vowel sounds.
- Phase 6 – Spelling (ages 6+) – introduces tenses, plurals, prefixes/suffixes, and multi-syllables.
The Letter and Sounds Teaching Kit will get you started. Packed with activity cards and workbooks it’s ready to be used with the Rainbow Phonics Magnetic Letters. The Downloadable Teacher Manual (use QR code) can either be used with the Teaching Kit/Letters and or with only the Letters for a comprehensive approach in teaching phonics/reading. The manual, which roughly covers skills typically taught in PK through 2nd grade, is well-organized and easy to follow although it is oriented toward a classroom situation.