Reading and Spelling Pure & Simple: First Grade Word Study Workbook 4
Workbook III for First Grade introduces and practices ending and beginning consonant blends and most of the consonant digraphs and trigraphs (sh, shr, ch, tch, nch, wh, th). Continues to introduce two-syllable words a challenge words. Workbook is consumable and about 115 pages, pb. There are several exercises for each lesson: Read. Discuss, Spell (Ex 1); Rhyme These Words (Ex 2); Word Study (Ex 3); ABC Order (Ex 4); and Guide Words in the Dictionary (Ex 5).
- The Read has the students read the words out loud to the teacher. Students discover that reading simply involves recognizing the letters of a word and knowing the sounds they make, then pronouncing these sounds from left to right.
- The Discuss components call for the teacher to chat with students about word meanings (no formal definitions needed) and make students aware that many English words have several meanings (bat, lap). This activity of discussing words ensures that students will develop the habit of thinking about meaning while they read.
- The Spelling part consists of a spelling test given at the end of every Exercise 1.
- pairing words that rhyme,
- putting words from a list in alphabetical order,
- learning to use a dictionary, and
- practicing handwriting