A very rigorous and complete 1-year course in grammar (parts of speech, word functions, punctuation, sentence structure and patterns). Now reprinted by Master Books, each lesson features plenty of white space and the front of the book contains a "Suggested Daily Schedule" with assignments listed for five days per week. Lessons are 1-2 pages of reading followed by 1-2 pages of exericises for practice. Fifteen tests are also provided, with an A and B form for each in case any tests need to be retaken. These are scheduled throughout the year, though not at regular intervals. Although designed to be self-instructional, particularly when used with the DVD (as is assumed in the schedule), some teacher help may be required. This book would be an excellent follow-up to Easy Grammar or Journey to Grammar Land, as it covers grammar at a college level! Answer keys to exercises and tests are found in the back of the book. Perfect-bound, 3-hole punched with perforated pages. Reproducible for one family or a small class (10 students or less).
Jensen's Grammar lessons and exercises were built with three concepts in mind. First, spaced repetition is the key to learning; hence, there is review in every lesson. Second, the information is given incrementally; that is, the material comes in a natural progression of detail and concept interwoven so as to move you along with something new each lesson while fitting it in with the material previously learned and practiced. Third, the sentences in the exercises will generally set a scene or describe an action. Thus, they are usually more interesting reading in themselves instead of the random sentences in exercises found in most grammar texts.
Students completing this course will learn valuable skills.
- how to create, place, and punctuate relative clauses in order to write more sophisticated sentences
- a simple procedure to reduce the number of words in a sentence to help you search for subjects and verbs
- how to use a simple chart that unlocks the mystery of differentiating the major parts of speech
- how to use the words and structures you are being taught in your own sentences
- understanding the fundamentals of grammar in such a way that you will not forget them but will use them effectively