Common Core Companion: Standards Decoded Grades 9-12
That version of the standards you wish you hadAll over the nation, teachers and administrators are poring over the Common Core State Standards to come up with meaningful plans for raising student achievement. But as clear as the standards are, they are more of a sundial than a GPS for pinpointing just what to teach and how to teach it.
Enter Jim Burke with The Common Core Companion: The Standards Decoded, Grades 9-12. It's that version of the standards you wish you had: a roadmap of what each standard says, what each standard means, and how precisely to put that standard into day-to-day practice across English Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects.
Designed to provide schools, districts, and departments with a common language or set of reference points for effective school-wide implementation, The Common Core Companion clearly lays out:
* Grades 9-10 standards positioned alongside 11-12 standards with key distinctions highlighted so teachers know what they must teach from grade to grade
* All the different content-area versions of each standard arranged on one page to facilitate easy reference and school-wide collaboration
* Explanations of each standard on a corresponding page, written in accessible language, along with prompts and questions to help students learn and apply each standard
* Essential content to cover and lesson ideas for modeling the literacy skills behind the standards
* Instructional techniques for each standard based on Jim's extensive teaching experience and current research on effective instruction
* Complete glossary for each standard and adaptations for ELL students
Don't spend another minute poring over the standards. Jim has already done that for you. Focus instead on how to teach them, using The Common Core Companion as your one-stop guide for teaching, planning, assessing, collaborating, and designing powerful reading and writing curricula.
Friend or Foe? Each of us is likely to have some sort of opinion on the Common Core Standards. These books will take the mystery out of these standards which may have been imposed on you whether or not you wanted them. The books will also provide a certain sort of relief as you realize that the standards are not necessarily so overwhelming. And, ultimately, you'll gain a sort of competence that these, too, are manageable.
The Companion provides planning sections for each English/Language Arts standards. Sections begin with a restatement of the official anchor standards as they appear in the actual Common Core State Standards document. A user-friendly "translation" of each standard gives you a fuller sense of the big picture and big objectives. The facing pages further break it down: the left side contains key ideas while the right side details what the student actually "does," providing "the gist" sections with plain-English synopses of the standard. Then the focus shifts to what the teacher does with worksheets for recording ideas and initial plans as well as a quick-reference glossary of key words for each standard.
While designed for teachers in CCSS-mandated classrooms, I can see some useful applications to a homeschool setting - particularly if you need to provide compliance in your homeschool - or perhaps in your co-op classes. While more information than many will need, it's a useful and well-designed tool for those who do. Lots of room is provided for note-taking and plan-writing. 249 pgs, spiral-bound with cardstock cover. ~ Janice