Sonlight Science Level H 4-Day Program
Learn about some of today's hottest career markets: robotics, conservation, energy, engineering (dams and canals), and technology. Filled with projects, experiments, and activity sheets to engage your middle school student and inspire interest in these fascinating fields of study. Each week your students will build things from solar robots to windmills to dams. They will love this hands-on course.
Science H includes eight books, a Science Supplies Kit, and an Instructor's Guide. One book will teach your students about the technology that shapes our world, such as the engine of a hydrogen-fueled car and the earthquake-proof structure of the world's tallest building. From game consoles to space planes, they'll learn the science behind every gadget, and find out when and how things were invented.
Other books cover:
- Energy: the history and science of the world's energy sources, from nonrenewable fossil fuels such as oil and natural gas, to renewable sources such as solar and wind
- Planet Earth: wind and solar power, pollution, endangered species, global warming, and recycling--along with potential solutions
- Robotics: found today everywhere from industrial manufacturing to vacuuming homes, your children will come up with creative solutions to tricky problems by making their own simple robots
- The Industrial Revolution: the dynamic individuals and revolutionary innovations that impacted the lives of rich and poor, city-dweller and farmer, and changed the course of the modern world
- Garbage: what happens when you throw things "away"
- Canals and Dams: from ancient aqueducts to the Hoover Dam, investigate amazing waterways and barriers
- Weather & Climate Change: see the world of weather in dramatic photos and lively illustrations
This program is especially ideal for the curious, the tinkerer, and the students who are interested in STEM fields.
This level focuses on conservation, robotics and technology.
If you’ve ever wished you could pull together well-loved resource books, experiments and activity sheets for science - without a major time investment - Sonlight Science is the answer! These courses are well organized, complete and flexible to meet your homeschool needs. Each complete program is a kit that includes high-quality books like DK, Usborne and Magic School Bus along with science experiment supplies and an Instructor Guide that pulls it all together for you. Available in either a 4-day or 5-day per week scheduling option, the leveled (not graded!) kits means children close in age or abilities can learn together - a win-win for homeschooling families.
Unsure if the 4 Day or 5 Day-path is best for you? Be assured the heart of the hands on, living book science instruction is essentially the same. The 4 Day course omits 3-5 books, depending on the level, yet remains an excellent option for teaching science at home.
The Instructor’s Guide is the heart of the course. Daily schedules, discussion questions, teaching notes and tips, book and supply lists, illustrated student activity pages and reduced pages with answers are all included. Although written from a Christian worldview, you will notice some resources include evolution or old earth dating. The IG provides excellent information on teaching children alternate views while allowing freedom for the parents to teach according to their beliefs on these topics. I appreciate the flexibility and vision for parents to equip their children for the challenges that may occur as they interact outside our homes. Guides are 3-hole punched and ready for your binder. Student Activity Sheets are included in the Guide, and also available separately for multiple students or refills. They are also reproducible for purchasing family use.
Resource books vary by topic and are chosen for their excellent topic, appeal and gorgeous illustrations. For example in Kit A, several Usborne Beginning books are included along with an Usborne Science Activity book and the Graphic Library book, Isaac Newton & the Laws of Motion. Each level’s (except Level F) included lab supplies minimizing prep time. Levels A-E also includes a Discover & Do DVD, with an enthusiastic instructor performing all the level’s lab activities. Children will enjoy watching these over and over; they are just that fun! ~ Deanne
Items listed in this section tend to be complete science programs with a teacher and student component, requiring few supplements besides science supplies.