Language Arts 1 Child Kit - Manuscript
In 1st grade, skills introduced in previous years (phonics/reading, optional cursive, poetry, and vocabulary skills) are enriched with creative writing and sentence-level mechanics, weekly spelling tests, and oral reading. Child Kits contain the texts, readers, and all essential materials. Program requires both Parent and Child Kits.
Abeka's renowned first-grade language arts program seamlessly integrates and balances the learning of language subject matter with the development of language skills in one all-inclusive daily plan. These conveniently prepared instructions will help you teach phonics, reading, spelling, language, and poetry. Your child will also make great progress in the skills of pemanship, oral reading, and oral communication. The Grade 1 Language Arts Child Kit contains texts and correlated assessments for the whole grade 1 language arts curriculum—16 items total. Combine this kit with the Grade 1 Language Arts Parent Kit (sold separately), and you can confidently teach and guide your first grader through a year of academic excellence in language arts from a Christian perspective. He will have begun building a foundation for lifelong learning and success.
* Phonics—Regardless of your child’s phonics background, Abeka's six steps to reading will turn him into a reader! This proven system teaches thousands of beginning readers every year.
* Reading—Ten engaging reading books of his very own plus daily systematic practice teach word analysis skills, build vocabulary, increase reading comprehension, and further develop the thinking process. And he will love the stories and Bible reading!
* Language–Early work in language skills increases your child’s thinking and writing skills. He will learn to write complete sentences and even turn them into stories!
* Spelling and Poetry—The 30 phonics-based word lists with activities reinforce reading skills and teach spelling. And your child will memorize 8 delightful poems!
* Writing—Abeka's step-by-step approach to good penmanship emphasizes neatness and correct letter formation. Phonics, spelling, and creative writing are built into the daily penmanship practice. Although manuscript writing is not included in the Parent Kit lesson plans, you would teach your child one page from the Writing with Phonics book per day.
In Abeka® Language Arts 1st grade, skills introduced in previous years (phonics/reading, optional cursive, poetry, and vocabulary skills) are enriched with creative writing and sentence-level mechanics, weekly spelling tests, and oral reading. A complete Language Arts program requires both a Child and a Parent Kit. Child Kits contain the texts, readers, and all essential materials. Parent Kits include full lesson plans, answer keys, and level-based required materials. Additional lesson plans, student consumables, and reinforcement/enrichment ELA items are available on the Rainbow Resource website.
The Abeka® distinctives start very early and flow through all levels, such as a cursive-first handwriting approach (starts in K and reviewed up to 6), thorough grammar (with diagramming), foundation-based composition skills (begins in 1st grade) and listening/speaking skills (including reading aloud and poetry memorization). All with Christian, patriotic-focused content in a spiral format with detailed teacher instruction. In 1st grade, skills introduced in previous years (phonics/reading, optional cursive, poetry, and vocabulary skills) are enriched with creative writing and sentence-level mechanics, weekly spelling tests, and oral reading. In Grade 2, transition to reading comprehension and beginning literature analysis occurs. Grade 3 begins the four-pronged emphasis of reading skills (analysis & discussion), writing (academic & creative), spelling/poetry, and grammar. Grade 4 (Level A) adds speed reading, the writing process, researching, and diagramming. Students refine all skills in Grade 5 (B), aiming for varied reading and writing (emphasizing research skills), as they head for Grade 6 (C), which cements the elementary skills in preparation for Abeka® upper-level courses.
Language arts programs listed in this section cover most areas of language arts (reading/literature, writing, grammar, spelling and handwriting) in one curriculum, although some skill areas may be covered with less intensity than a focused, stand-alone course.